Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:35:54 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab entries need a CR/LF at the end

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 03:51:59PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but his observations are at least valid.
> > It seems bug-like to me, though probably not a very high priority one.
>
> The manual says:
>
>            The entire command portion of the line, up to a newline or % char-
>      acter, will be executed by /bin/sh or by the shell specified in the SHELL
>      variable of the cronfile.
>
> so it sounds to me like it's performing as documented.  So while there
> may be good arguments for changing the behaviour, it's certainly not a
> bug.  I wouldn't support changing it, by the way; the definition of a
> line as "one or more characters ending in a newline character" is
> typical in Unix, and changing that for crontab would probably create
> more problems than it solves.

Mmm, was about to point out something similar, it hangs on what the
definition of a line is. I would say, Unix wise, it is a line, well
let us say "row", of text ending in the newline character.

I would hardly think this behaviour can be classed as a bug, or
should be fixed for the very unusual case of someone not wanting
their text editor to end a line in the usual way for them.

(Mmm..unless you use it to write EDIfact messages by hand I guess...:)

It is also an argument that cron may regard this is invalid due to a
possibly corrupted crontab file - it reaches the end of file, expects
a new line, there is not one, sounds like safe behaviour rather than
a bug.

--
Regards
Cliff