Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 22:25:49 -0500
From:      Dan Harrison <macman20001@mac.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD install corrupts neighboring partitions

>I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.8 on a system which will boot it
>and also Windows 2000 Server. I've done this with two multiboot
>utilities: the simple boot manager that comes with FreeBSD and V
>Communications' System Commander.
>
>In both cases, I have found that when I install FreeBSD it corrupts
>neighboring NTFS and FAT partitions. After the install, the OSes in
>these partitions fail to boot or the partitions become entirely
>unreadable. Whether I tell FreeBSD not to install an MBR or whether
>I tell it to install its boot manager, the result is the same:
>Neighboring partitions are being corrupted to the point where one
>can not get to data on them.
>
>I realize that dual booting is not common, but I need to do it on
>this laptop. Has anyone else on the lists encountered this problem?

Yes. I had it corrupt a copy of Win XP on a desktop I installed it
on. My solution, I'm sorry to say, was to get another hard drive and
re-install Windows on that. If I wanted to use windows, switch the
hard drives in the OS detect order in the BOIS. :\

I don't know how practical it is on a laptop, but I wanted to tell
you that you are not alone.

Good luck.
--
Signed,