Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:19:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, pentium@cio.net
Subject:   Re: what is signal 15?

> <HTML>
> when I #shutdown -h now, I get
>
> <P>Nov 20 02:19:05 Abados syslogd: exited on signal 15
>
> <P>then when I try to reboot the computer freezes and I have to turn the
> power off to restart,
>
> <P>what is this signal 15 and how <I><U>might</U></I> I stop this from
> recurring???</HTML>

 Signal 15 is SIGTERM.  The message is being printed because the
 shutdown command sends the SIGTERM signal to syslogd.  That is,
 shutdown informs syslogd it's time to shutdown... syslogd prints
 a message that it received the signal and exited.

 It is acting correctly...  That is; the message is expected.

 But - it seems you're real problem is that you have to turn the
 power off to restart... when you do restart, it should cause the
 machine to be reset and begin its normal cold start (POST) tests.

 But; some machines don't work that way; and some newer ATX machines
 have problems...   Can you tell us what machine you have; what
 motherboard, etc...

	- Dave Rivers -