Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 1997 15:31:45 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Libretto 50 - US Version and PAO

> > > On that note, does it mean that any of the other information used in the
> > > CIS tuples (besides the size) is relevant?  Couldn't we just determine
> > > the io size and map it anywhere then?  It would *sure* be nice if we
> > > could simplify the CIS tuple processing. :) ;)
> >
> > Well, from my reading of things, yes; I can't actually see anything
> > that the card itself could actually be using to determine where it's
> > actually mapped.  It sounds like the configuration entries are
> > basically junk there for the convenience of lazy DOS driver authors.
>
> Great.  So, your re-write of pccardd should go much quicker now, right?
> *grin*

Well, now that you mention it.  My exams finished today, and I feel
like a new human being.

#1 on my list (aside for the stuff I'm doing for Jordan) is to start
leveraging BIOS support; that means PnP and APM and ACPI.  PnP is a
great contender now that JMG has Doug R's kld stuff in and happening,
and I think it's the right way to address the PCCARD stuff too.

One big issue (to me) is dealing with the fact that I need another
segment descriptor for the PnP BIOS interface.  I'm thinking however
that I *don't* need one for the APM interface anymore, if I can call
old non-32-bit APM biossen from real mode with the vm86 thunker then I
can call the 32-bit ones using the same code I use for calling the
BIOS32 service directory.  I can't just steal another selector without
breaking (potential) compatability with Linux-WABI and WINE.

Anyway, I'll be playing with that this afternoon, so hopefully I'll
have something useful to report a bit later.

mike