Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:01:54 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gzip and large files

At 10:26 AM 8.30.2002 +1000, Andrew wrote:

>On 29 Aug 2002, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> It's running out of virtual memory to store the pipelines?
>
>No message is logged and the exit value of gzip is 0. I would assume a
>pager out of swap space or similar error if this was the case?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Andrew

A while back I reported on this list about having lockups and crashes using
with large tars (over 2GBs). I was also using the "z" switch for gzip at
the time. Once I dropped the "z" flag with tar, the problem stopped ....so
far and it's been a couple of months now since. Never could pin it on
anything else....

Have 1GB RAM and 2GB swap too....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,