Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:12:05 -0300 (EST)
From:      Alexandre Moriya - esp <moriya@ifi.unicamp.br>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        moriya@ifi.unicamp.br (Alexandre Moriya - esp)
Subject:   Problems with home dirs (fw

Forwarded message:
> From moriya@ifi.unicamp.br Mon Jul 24 10:49:15 1995
> From: Alexandre Moriya - esp <moriya@ifi.unicamp.br>
> Subject: Problems with home dirs
> To: FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 10:57:55 -0300 (EST)
> Cc: moriya@ifi.unicamp.br (Alexandre Moriya - esp)
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a very strange problem !
>
> Last friday I had to change the home directories of a unix
> host from the / partition to the /usr partition.
> Ok, I did that. I changed the entries in the passowrd files (using vipw)
> and then moved the home dir from /home/USERx to /usr/home/HOST/USERx.
> Great ! Since then NOBODY, but the root user is able to login.
>
> At the prompt, the user enter his username and then his password.
> The /etc/motd message is showed and the message bellow appears:
>
> "login: /bin/csh: Permission Denied"
> or
> "login: /bin/sh: Permission Denied"
>
> I am able to login as root and then I tried su USERx and the message below
> appears:
>
> "su: /bin/csh: Permission Denied"
> or
> "su: /bin/sh: Permission Denied"
>
> ANY Tips ?!?
> Can Anybody help me ? I know it should have a very obvious solution
> but I was not able to find that. Please, help me !!!
>
> Thanks a lot,
> 	BYE
>
> --
>
> Alexandre Moriya			(RA 910061)
> Centro de Computacao John David Rogers 	(CCJDR)
> Instituto de Fisica Gleb Wataghin	(IFGW)
> Universidade Estadual de Campinas	(UNICAMP)
> Campinas - SP - Brasil
> e-mail:
> 	moriya@ifi.unicamp.br
> 	moriya@dcc.unicamp.br

Hi all,

I have solved the problem. Well, it was not me, it were you
that help me a lot. I'd like to thanks all of you and a
special thanks for those who gave me good tips:
Brian Litzinger, Chris Christoph, Mike Smith and particularly
the unknown person who gave me the final solution (nt1@kwait.net).

The final solution was:

> chmod 755 /

Yeah, for some fuck reason (obviously, because of my fault) that
directory / was with permissions 644 !!!

Thank You a LOT
	BYE