Date:      Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:57:29 -0700
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
Subject:   Re: KDE not starting. Cannot start kdeinit

On Sat 16 Apr 05 10:44, Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 16 April 2005 19:06, Edward Lichtner wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I just installed FreeBSD (using a CD burned from the
> > 5.3-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso image) on a NEC machine with a
> > Celeron D335. I have xorg 6.8.2 (upgraded via portupgrade) and KDE
> > 3.3.0 (installed via Internet as binaries, with pkg_add, after
> > upgrading xorg). I then created an .xinitrc file by copying from
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit into my home directory and adding exec
> > startkde at the beginning of the file, after the first few lines.
> > When I type startx, xorg starts OK, but I then get "Could not start
> > kdeinit. Check your installation".
> > Kdeinit is in /usr/local/bin and the kdelibs package is installed
> > and recognised by pkg_info.
> > Any idea what went wrong ?
>
> You shouldn't copy xinit and you shouldn't use 'exec' to run
> startkde. Just put only 'startkde' (without the quotes) in your
> ~/.xinitrc instead.

I don't use KDE as a desktop a lot (though I do use KMail and some other
apps), but I've always had exec startkde in my .xinitrc when I want to
use the whole KDE, and I've never run into any problems like the OP
described. In fact, I've never heard anyone advise what you did. Not to
doubt you, but I don't see the connection, as it's never been an issue
for me. Do you have a reference for this?

- jt