Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:12:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/dev/vx if_vx.c if_vxreg.h src/sys/i386/apm apm.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC files.i386

> But running time isn't the only thing to consider.  As I mentioned
> before, untimeout/timeout are often called from an interrupt context
> and the old algorithm caused an indeterminate delay in this scenario,
> potentially causing problems for that device and any that share the
> same interrupt.

I still don't agree that this is a good rationale; IMO, the interrupts
should be virtualized.  I personally would not permit memory allocations
to occur at interrupt.  The only place this issue is even marginally
relevelent is the fastintr code.

> You also have to consider that timeout/untimeout calls occur at
> indeterminate rates, but softclock runs at a fixed rate meaning that
> the amount of work it performs scales better than if that work was
> pushed off into either of timeout or untimeout.

The softclock code assumes a higher frequency than the relative
interval between timer firings.  This is bad, expecially if I want
a timer of better than 122uS resoloution.  I can concieve of valid
uses for timers in the 1uS - 500nS range (valid == not just the pc
speaker driver).

You addreesed the "if an when we want high resoloution timers" issue
in another posting, so I won't press a case for it here.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---