Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:04:59 -0700
From:      Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc@americanisp.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   APM on 5.0 RC1

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to get apm to run on 5.0 RC1. I have a Thinkpad
390x; apm worked on 4.7.

If I run apmd -d, I get:
apmd[776]: start
apmd: cannot open device file `/dev/apmctl': No such file or directory

Okay, I think. I look for /dev/MAKEDEV, it's missing. After some googling,
it looks like devfs is a new concept replacing MAKEDEV. So I do some reading
on this, and try to add a rule per the manpage:

lappie# devfs rule add path apm mode 660
devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RADD: Input/output error

Any ideas?

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc@americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/