Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:23:36 +0930
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "Mike Maltese" <mike@pcmedx.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vinum and newfs

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:26, Mike Maltese wrote:
> What impact do disk block and fragment sizes have on a vinum volume?  I=
've
> been benchmarking an array of three drives in striped and raid5
> configurations with various stripe sizes.  I've noticed that I get bett=
er
> results in just about every instance by passing -b 16384 -f 2048 to new=
fs.
> This doesn't make sense to me as those are the defaults for newfs if th=
ey
> are not specified, but looking at the disklabel after a newfs, it shows
> 8192/1024. Should these options really make a performance difference, a=
nd
> if so, how?
>
> Thanks, Mike

I have had similar experience, getting 8192/1024 when using newfs on a vi=
num=20
volume. Obviously 16384/2048 is not the default in this case, in spite of=
 the=20
newfs man pages.=20

In a classical file system I believe these numbers are taken from the=20
disklabel and it is realy the disklabel that supplies these defaults for =
the=20
partitions. For vinum the individual volumes do not have a corresponding=20
disklabel partition. -- All guess work so don't take it too seriously.

Malcolm