Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:16:10
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        gjb@gbch.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network setup questions

Hi Greg,

>First, don't cross-post; stick to freebsd-questions for now.

Done.

>Second, what is your question?

How to set up mpd-netgraph to connect over a wireless wan with pptp to an
ISP. Failing that, how to set up any available pptp client to do the same -
get on the net via my ISP.

Details:
The existing WAN was setup by the ISP so that *any* WaveLan cards (which
they provide as part of their broadband package) within range of their
antennae would automatically get an IP via DHCP (10.10.2.0/24 range). They
in turn run NAT on the subnet, thus giving anyone with a WaveLan card direct
internet access, no other authorization or configuration needed. As the ISP
is new and noone else in the area offers or carries this equipment, it's
worked fine up to now. I set my home LAN up to use this and it's worked
fine.

Because the situation is changing, the ISP is switching over to another
system (VPN). They have a linux PPTP server at 10.10.1.1 (i.e. still on
their local WAN), all WaveLan cards still get an internal IP (10.10.2.0/24)
via DHCP as before, but their NAT is now turned off/disabled. So anyone with
a WaveLan card can still get an internal IP, but you can't get to the
internet or do anything without going through the VPN/PPTP server.

In order to access the internet now, one has to (after doing the DHCP stuff
mentioned above to get on the local WAN): contact/connect to the PPTP server
(10.10.1.1), login and authorize (chap and/or pap) and dynamically receive a
*routable* IP (as I recall they have 213.225.121.0/24 range available) from
the pool the ISP owns. Then one (as far as I know) is online and can use the
internet as usual.

I had/have my home LAN set up on 192.168.128.0/24 and use the FBSD box as a
gateway/dual homed host for the LAN, using a dc0 card for the LAN and the
WaveLan (wi0) for the internet (outside network). I run ipfw and natd to
allow all the machines at home acccess to the net via the FBSD gateway. I've
had some small problems with natd & ipfw (natd complains about "cannot write
back" in some cases), and am currently looking into the ruleset to fix this.
I've tried testing my setup with closed and open firewall, but cannot seem
to get anywhere.

I can post my mpd.conf, mpd.links and mpd.log if that would help.

Regards,
Thor