From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Apache

WP> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> Of course, the eternal refrain is "install the sysutils/portupgrade
>> port".  Then you can do:
>>
>> portupgrade www/apache13

WP> This worked superbly.  Thanks.  I had been a bit wary of portupgrade
WP> until now - didn't know how reliable it was and wanted to control
WP> things myself.  But this worked flawlessly.

Portupgrade works superbly, except when rebuilding packages for
dependencies.  In that case, it generates all sorts of stale
dependencies in the packages it creates.  The author claims it is not
his fault, as per
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/35459

My workaround is to every so often just do a foreach loop on all
packages running pkg_tarup to fix up the stale deps in the packages I
use locally.