Date:      06 Mar 2001 18:02:26 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, josb@cncdsl.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
>Mike Meyer wrote:
>> Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com> types:
>> >         As someone said, vipw is a good counterexample.
>> >         The above schemes do allow you to use ED (if you like) to edit
>> > configuration files.  In one case it's totally free (even cp will work), in
>> > the other you have to use some sort of vipw thing to invoke the editor and
>> > make sure that the file is notified as changed (or integrate with the
>> > editor in some automatic or semi-automatic way).
>>
>> The critical issue isn't being able to use ed per se, it's working in
>> single user mode, with no file systems mounted and no daemons
>> running. How do your schemes deal with that requirement?

        The scheme I was talking about works fine, though a change might
not be picked up until a user of the data is restarted/kicked/etc (however,
with no daemons running, there won't be many people waiting on the data
anyways).  My scheme (as opposed to some of the other discussion) didn't
specify if the data was in classic text form, DBM, etc - it just added
notification-of-change mechanisms on top of the file semantic.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com