Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:17:46 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.condolan.asn>
To:        bstephens@regionsmortgage.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD server as a router???

On this day Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 12:53:53PM -0500, the following great wisdom poured forth from the mouth of bstephens@regionsmortgage.com, to the stark amazement of all who witnessed:

> I have been combing the freebsd.org site for the last two days
> attempting to find some documentation on how to configure and use a
> FreeBSD server as a router.  I have found some information on
> configuring the server as a bridge as well as a filtering bridge, but
> no router info.  Does anyone have any leads on some info?  There seems

I've noticed that 9 times out of 10 these days, people _say_ they want
a router, but what they _really_ want is a firewall. You might want
to give that some thought. Would you prefer to hide your internal
machines behind a machine acting as a firewall, helping to keep them
safer from those who would do them harm? Or do you really want just
a plain old router?

In either case, the info is out there. A google search for "freebsd
firewall" turned up a bunch of stuff--one fo the first  links I looked
at seemed to be a fairly complete howto that started with installing
a bare box and ended with making your firewall do various things.

Also, you should get Greg Lehey's "Complete FreeBSD" book. There's
a section in there about setting up a router, and maybe even
firewalling. Can't quite remember and don't have it handy.

There is anoter  book called "The FreeBSD Corporate Networking Guide"
or something like that. I flipped through it and it seemed rather
complete--I'd be surprised if there wasn't a chapter on routing and
firewalling in there.

Also, when you do the initial freebsd install, it asks you "Is this
machine going to be a gateway?". For our purposes, a gateway and a
router are the same thing.

You also might check out PicoBSD, which is a router-on-a-floppy
special distribution of freebsd. No hard disk required.