Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:07:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.0 @ 1600x1200 ...

> 	Well, just got my new 19inch monitor, and, well, X is doing this
> little dance on my screen that will quickly be giving me a headache :(
>
> 	The monitor is a Samtron 95P ... I am currently running at
> 1600x1200 (93K horizontal by 70hz vertical) and the screen is clear and
> crisp, except for the wave ...
>
> 	Is there something that I have to do to get rid of it *without*
> dropping down in resolution

Hi, Marc. If you change resolutions, does "the wave" go away?  If so, it
suggests to me that your monitor can't quite sync up.  If not, it could be
a power problem.  I don't know exactly what you're seeing, but the last
time I was bothered by a "wave" on a monitor, the problem went away when I
unplugged the monitor from the power strip it had been sharing with the
computer and plugged it directly into a wall outlet instead (we seldom
have lightning here).  Modern computers and monitors have switching power
supplies, which draw current during only the peaks of the waveform, so IMO
they're easily starved by the impedance of extension cords and the like.
If giving it good power doesn't help either, it could be that the power
supply in the monitor is duff.  Going back to the idea of changing the
sync rates, you can use the xvidtune utility to interactively tweak them
and display the corresponding modelines.  You may be able to get a stable
display with no more than a tiny sacrifice in resolution or refresh rate.
__
Trevor Johnson