Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 01:01:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        mikel@cynet.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: To IP or not to IP WWW servers

> With IP space dwindling what are the lists thoughts on using individual IP
> addresses for each Virtual Web Service host as opposed to "overloading"
> the single IP address of the VWS server with multiple hostname/domain
> names?  IRTT how has choosing individual IPs versus single IP/multiple VWS
> impacted on your customer base?
>
> Also, at what point do the practical limits start getting reached with
> aliasing IPs onto the VWS server card, or are they sufficiently high that
> other issues such as capacity/reliability come into play first?

Well.. the only downside to not using one IP per domain, is certain
browsers will not work. Now, if you have a web page(s) that can only be
read by a certain browser, say you need Netscape 4 or IE4 it probably
wouldnt matter much. But we use one IP per domain, even though probably
90% of the browsers are Netscape, with the rest mostly IE. This is the
usage we are seeing, that was not a comment on Netscape market share! :)