Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:00:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
Cc:        Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting started as an ISP

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote:

[SNIP]

> >  Web/FTP and Email service are relatively simple to provide to
> >  customers. I recommend outsourcing News to some provider as it
> >  is cumbersome and expensive to build/run/operate.
>
> That is quite an understatement.  Going over some specs with an engineer
> in a Level 3 facility a couple of weeks ago he said a full news feed
> runs about 78Mbits/second.  Even if was of by an order of magnitude that
> would come to 60GB day and I've heard almost a year ago it's been well
> over 100GB day, so his 600GB figure is not that far off.

	Yeh, full news feeds require megabandwidth and require far to much
	administrative work for the number of people that actually use it
	:-)  GigaNews, SuperNews, etc charge on a number of connections
	to their news service.  This amount is not that bad considering
	the amount of crud you have to go through to manage a news feed.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
-
  How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
  				-Emo Philips