Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 00:18:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex Zepeda)
Cc:        BMCGROARTY@high-voltage.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle for FreeBSD

> P.S. A really neat idea might be a boxed Oracle distribution of some sort.
> But oh wait, they've got Linux division; not a FreeBSD one.  Hell some
> sort of distribution including some big comercial package of choice would
> really be neat (Oracle 8, Now with FreeBSD).

There is already a FreeBSD port of Oracle.  It runs on Oracle's
(NCI's) FreeBSD based Network Computer server.

It also runs on FreeBSD-current, if you tar it up and untar it,
as someone who shall remain nameless has done to see if there
were OS specific hooks built into the NC server FreeBSD kernel to
support the database (there weren't).

It's a matter of leveraging a big company that needs it (e.g. Yahoo)
to get it released as a supported product on FreeBSD in general,
instead of merely as a component of their NC server.

It needs a corporate sponsor.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---