Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 17:45:53 +0100
From:      Lukas Wunner <lukas@design.de>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Lukas Wunner <lukas@design.de>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Luis_E=2E_Mu=F1oz=22?= <lem@cantv.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

Howdy,

> The question is, if the PCI bus performance of PPro and PII boards
> is really so worse as you tell.

In my opinion, if you are going to set up a serious system, you can
completely forget about PentiumII based systems as they are still in
customer beta-testing if you know what I mean. As for PPro based systems,
I suggest you take a look at the PPro board tests in the German c't
magazine and compare the PCI and memory performance they measured with
the figures they measured with Pentium boards. The bottom line is that
Natoma boards are actually slower wrt PCI/memory bandwidth than
430HX (Pentium) boards (forget about TX or VX boards for any serious use
as they only allow up to 64MB of RAM and have extremely poor memory
performance, especially the VX chipset). Now consider that we'd put
say, 512MB of RAM in the PPro based system, so that's twice as much as
in our Pentium based news box. If there is more real memory, there is
of course also more data to be transferred between the CPU and the memory
per second, but as the PPro boards' memory bandwidth is actually smaller
than the Pentium boards', the memory interface will become a real
bottleneck. As I said, OrionGX boards seem to be a lot better in that
respect, but they are also hard to get. At least that is my experience.

> 230-This machine is a P6/233 with 1GB of memory & 142GB of disk online.
> 230-The operating system is FreeBSD...

Any ideas which motherboard they are using and where they got it?

> I think for an ISP it's crucially important to have fast connectivity
> and fast routers.

As an ISP, we have to offer both, IP connectivity, and the whole
palette of internet services to our customers. That includes a decent
news server, proxy etc pp.

> then to spend too much
> money in high end machines, if FreeBSD Server as a nice rack mounted
> system perform excellent.

Yes, we currently have quite a few of those, but with PCs, we are
constantly crashing against the ceiling wrt expandability.

> I personally don't believe, that buying Suns or SGI's bring you a
> better server if you compare price/performance...

The question is probably not price/performance, but rather if and where
PC hardware is available which supports the same amount of real memory
that I can put into e.g. an Origin 200 (and that has a decent memory
interface). At the moment, it is a pain-you-know-where to find PC hardware
which supports more than 128MB *reliably* (usually it only works with
certain SIMMs and the "try and see if it runs stable" method) and which
offer the same cpu<->memory bandwidth that you get with e.g. an Origin 200
(again, any recommendations for decent motherboards and a German outlet
are welcome :-) ).

> People are working on a FreeBSD Ultra Sparc port ;-)
> Maybe this might attract you in the future ...

Definitely.

> But I'd really recommend, that you get a test system with a
> PPro 233 MHz, 1 GB RAM, one or more 3940, one or more
> Seagate Barracudas and create for the news partition a
> stripe set using ccd ... It should perform nicely ;-)

So which motherboard supports 1GB reliably? As for the 3940's, I'd
probably prefer to put a DPT into the machine and have the controller do
the striping. I don't like Adaptec anyway, but that's a different story. :-)

Thanks,
	Lukas Wunner / seicom.NET

--
lukas wunner         unix, internetworking and security engineer
lukas@wunner.de      LW26-RIPE      http://www.wunner.de/~lukas/