Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 00:55:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jay <jay@oneway.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PNP modem problem, making it work properly (wrong IRQ?)

Hi,

	I have a PNP modem (Actually, 11 of them) in a server.  It is a
USR 56k modem (no, not a winmodem).  I had to do some funky PNP magic to
get it to be recognized at all.   Now I have it recognized (as sio4,
cuaa4/ttyd4) but I can't get it to work.  I can bring up kermit (or tip)
on it and type commands (I can't see the responses from the modem) and the
commands are recieved and acted on (I can dial/answer, etc) but I get no
output until I type the next character.  IE:  if I type the 'get info'
command, ati6, and then hold down the spacebar, I get one character of
response for each space I press.   It seems very much like an IRQ problem,
but I don't know how to change it.  It is currently set to IRQ 4, which is
already used for sio0.  Can anyone help shed some light on this...
I think I just need to configure it to work on another IRQ, like 5.  What
commands do I have to give (and can I do them anywhere other than the
config editor on the boot-screen) (in case you hadn't guessed, this
machine is not in my office... it's a bit of a drive to get on console)

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

TIA,

Jay

PS- I am running FreeBSD 2.2.7 (Can you give pnp commands in
kernel.config?)