Date:      Fri, 9 Sep 2011 12:56:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
To:        Steve Thompson <steve.f.thompson@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS version 30

---559023410-52182039-1315590991=:4180

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Steve Thompson wrote:

> I don't personally know if Oracle has any intention of doing so, but I heard a rumor "some opensource groups are not
> sitting on its laurels while Oracle marches on".  Anyone else heard anything about this?

The zfs encryption code missed the window.  Unless Oracle decides to
make another code dump, any future activity is likely associated with
the Illumos project (https://www.illumos.org/).  I do know that key
FreeBSD zfs maintainers collaborate with counterparts on the Illumos
project to get zfs bugs fixed.

I do see this forum entry:

   https://www.illumos.org/boards/1/topics/256

The main reason to expect/hope that Oracle will make more code dumps
is that they have continued to maintain the many services associated
with the OpenSolaris project.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn