Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:04:17 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Dave Yost <Dave@Yost.com>
Cc:        eT <eT@KryptoKom.DE>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what's in a name?

Name doesnt do much, otherwise either CKBe by calvin klein would fail, or BeOS would be really popular.  Go figure

Dave Yost wrote:

> At 11:57 AM +0100 1999-03-03, eT wrote:
> > you know, this whole lin*x thing has me baffled.  ... i am wondering
> > why linux has a larger user/suport base in the first place?  could it be that
> > the word linux just 'sounds' more like a friendly operating system than
> > FreeBSD?  and that because of this new users are more susceptible to
> > using it?
>
> Yes!
>
> Linux is warm and fuzzy, like Linus, the kid with the fuzzy blanket.  FreeBSD is techie and acrinomious, acronymical.  (Yes, I know, there will be a chorus of fans who like it to sound techie.)  And it sounds like freebie, which has the connotation of el cheapo marketing.
>
> > is linux perhaps a more 'marketable' name than FreeBSD?
>
> Absolutely.
> > why not let's change the name FreeBSD to some variant
> > of linux?  i agree that the time for advocacy has come upon us more
> > than ever before!
>
> schroedix?
> snoopix?
> peanix?   (this one makes me laugh)
> blankie?
> blankix?
>
> fuzzix?
>
> paulinx?
> VitaminCeex?
>
> warmvm?
> steamingvm?
>
> weenix?
> geex?
> geexooks?
> wannabeex?
>
> berx?  (not good for the U.K. -- well, it would make for a good book title:
>         berx for Berks.)
>
> ;-)
>
> I'm getting carried away...
>
> But seriously, there's a totally great name out there waiting to be discovered.
>
> Do you think Zip drives would have caught on as well if they had been called Bernoulli III? or FloppyXYZ?
>
> Dave
>
> Too much crazed wordplay for one night...

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions and
        a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
        company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101