Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 00:06:37 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        Jakub Kruszona-Zawadzki <acid@g-em.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to configure FreeBSD for big traffic

Jakub Kruszona-Zawadzki wrote:

> FreeBSD 4.2
>
> We have very big www trafic. (about 13 hits/sec on peek - yes 15mln/month)
> netstat -n | wc -l , gives numbers about 1500
>
> kernel was compiled with option MAXUSERS=512
> and ...
> after about a month our server suddenly started to behave a little bit
> crazy. First one, then more machines from our LAN lost ability to see
> our server.
>
> my /var/log/messages :
>
> May 22 18:08:27 szafa1 /kernel: arplookup 192.168.1.72 failed: could not
> allocate llinfo
> May 22 18:08:27 szafa1 /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
> 192.168.1.72rt
> (...)
> May 22 18:49:38 szafa1 /kernel: arplookup 192.168.1.1 failed: could not
> allocate llinfo
>
> arp -a wrote nothing:
>
> su-2.04# arp -a
> su-2.04#
>
> ifconfig -a wrote nothing too:
>
> su-2.04# ifconfig -a
> su-2.04#
>
> after reboot server works good.
> it happened two times. where is the problem ?, how to patch it - static
> arps ? or what ?

This smells awfully like routing problem. You do firewall/NAT
stuff as I can tell from your 192.168.0.0/16 addresses. This can
be one cause of problem. Does arp -d -a clear the problem? I
have seen the llinfo issue before and this was fixed by straightening
out the routes.

But I may be wrong.
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine