Date:      Mon, 07 May 2001 09:58:52 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Purpose of serial number in zone files (BIND)

edwin@mavetju.org said:
> DNS servers which are not authorative for a zone do not have the SOA
> field, they only have the Time To Live for that single record.

I agree with Edwin, the Serial Number in the SOA is ONLY used between
master and slave servers to arrange synchronisation of zones.

All other servers use the TTL on the record to decide how long a record
is valid if they received a positive response.  Later versions of BIND
will also cache (authoritative) negative responses (for a comparatively
short time, but it avoids sending a constant stream of queries when the
authoritative server has already stated that there is no data).

If they use the SOA then they are non-standard.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319