Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:44:04 -0500
From:      Edmond Baroud <SoHo@admin.fido.ca>
To:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mail problem

you have config your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf to masquerade a FQDN.
the only thing I can tell u to add and try is:

DMYourFQDNhere
eg: DMhotmail.com

you'll get your email from b1henning@hotmail.com if your Unix user is b1henning.
if this doesnt work, search for how to config your sendmail.cf's version for masquerading,
old versions require more options at the bottom of the file in the envelope rewriting options.

Ed.

Quoting Brian Henning (b1henning@hotmail.com):
> > On 2003-03-06 10:51, Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > i am able to perform the following command fine when i want to send
> > > mail on the local network.
> > >
> > > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" henninb@localhost
> > >
> > > is there a flag that i can pass to mail to tell it to use the proper
> > > server for when i want to perform this operation to an address
> > > outside my local network?
> > >
> > > cat input_message.txt | mail -s "hello world" b1henning@hotmail.com
> >
> > Have you checked your /var/log/maillog file?  Any hints there?
> >
> > When you say that you are unable to use mail(1), do you mean that you
> > get the message returned to your local mailbox?  If yes, what is the
> > precise error that the failed delivery contains?
> >
> > - Giorgos
> >

> ... while talking to mail.navitaire.com.:
> <<< 553 5.1.8 <henninb@trinity.the-matrix.net>... Domain of sender address henni
> nb@trinity.the-matrix.net does not exist
>

> the error seems to point to the domain name of my internal network... is there a
> way to change this such that the  server will accept my emial?
>
> thanks,
> brian

Edmond Baroud
UNIX Systems Admin             mailto:SoHo@admin.fido.ca
Fingerprint  140F 5FD5 3FDD 45D9 226D  9602 8C3D EAFB 4E19 BEF9
"UNIX is very user friendly, it's just picky about who its friends are."