Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 05:15:33 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        snap-users@kame.net, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KAME SPD bug, please try and confirm ...

itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>         sorry that we did not make any useful responses, some of the kame guys
>         (mainly sakane) are trying to repeat the symptom.

I appreciate that very much!

>         i ran a small test with slightly different setup on both NetBSD
>         1.5.1_BETA and NetBSD 1.5 + KAME SNAP 2001042x, and the problem did
>         not repeat.

Hmm, may be it's a matter of FreeBSD and does not occur with NetBSD?

>         is the following description correct?
>         - FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE is not affected

yes, it is affected with kernel panic (under high loads only ...)

>         - FreeBDS 4.2-RELEASE + KAME SNAP 200103xx has problem, but no kernel
>           panic

right, shows the described problems but has no such kernel panics

>         - FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE + KAME SNAP 200104xx has problem, with kernel
>           panic

actually I should test that. Will do tomorrow.

>         if you can get a kernel stack trace on panic, it would be really useful.

I reported about the panic before (on FreeBSD's bugs) and the error was
at esp4_input ...

>         i'm just guessing, but it seems that there could be some problem
>         with your routing table setup.  you are doing things like:
> >aip=10.10.10.1
> >bip=10.10.10.2
> >aipsec=10.99.10
> >bipsec=10.99.20
> >ifconfig ${if} inet alias ${aip} netmask 0xffffff00
> >ifconfig lo0 inet alias ${aipsec}.1 netmask 0xffffff00
> >route add -net ${bipsec}.0/24 ${aipsec}.1
>         why do you need the routing setup, and why do you need the address
>         ${aipsec}.1 onto the loopback interface?  if you want to control the
>         source address selection, you may need to use route -ifa settings
>         instead.

I understood that I had to do this in order to get IPsec done
right in the first place. Many howto documents describe things like
that. Actually ...

>         a network diagram would be very helpful here.  I guess you are
>         trying to configure single ethernet segment to have two IP subnet
>         numbers (10.99.10.0/24 and 10.10.10.0/24 are on the same network
>         interface, right?).  I really don't recommend doing that.  get an
>         extra ethernet card or two and make the device a proper firewall
>         router.

Sure, my real setup has two etherent cards (three even :-) On those
I have

ifcondig ${ifinside}  ${aipsec}.1 netmask 0xffffff00
ifconfig ${ifoutside} ${aip} netmask 0xffffff00

The routing setup then goes like

route add -net ${bipsec}.0/24 ${aipsec}.1

just like above. So, the only thing I changed in my test scripts
was to replace ${ifinside} with lo0, and I did this so that people could
more easily reproduce the problem without requiring two cards (this
other "alias" I use in the ifconfig for ${aip} is so that people
would not lose their normal IP configuration when running the test.)
There was no difference for me if I used lo0 or a real interface or
if I configured with or without IP aliases.

The network diagram is the same as last time:

   ${aipsec}.0/24    ${aip}            ${bip}  ${bipsec}.0/24
...-----------GATEWAY-0---+------//--------GATEWAY-1-------------...

                          |            ${cip}   ${cipsec}.0/24

                          .
                          .
                          .

Thank you,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine