Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:24:41 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@virginia.edu>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGDANGER

> 	I always thought SIGDANGER was considered the worst of all bad
> ideas.  It greatly reduces determinism because when you over allocate
> memory and then discover that you are short on memory the process that is
> SIGDANGERED is randomly chosen randomly from the offending process group.
> It may not even be a process that improves the situation when dead.

Argh..  You and everyone else arguing from this angle are all
seriously missing the point here!

A process can already be randomly selected for KAL-007 treatment due
to resource limitations under the current scheme and it's something
which has been true for literally years now - see some of Terry's old
rants on the evils of memory over-commit if you want to revisit that
old dead-horse topic and find out why things are the way they are
today.

All the SIGDANGER (Will Robinson) signal is meant to do is give a
process a little _warning_ before it's chosen as the designated
sacrifice for the evening and terminated in an untimely fashion.

I don't think the question here is "is this a good idea" - it's a
perfectly reasonable idea and one which has been proposed before.  The
question here is really "what are the proposed semantics of this
mechanism?", e.g. how long do you wait from the time you SIGDANGER the
process and actually shoot it down, and what happens if you're also
critically short of resources and don't have much time to wait?

					Jordan