Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:47:01 -0500
From:      Brian Minder <bmm@minder.net>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limiting access to DHCP leases

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 04:13:22PM -0500, Jaime Kikpole wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Brian Minder wrote:
> > I've had success providing this kind of access control with a few flavors
> > of switches, most recently with Extreme Networks gear.  With ExtremeWare,
> > you can assign MAC addresses to specific VLAN's, and choose whether to
> > assign unknown devices to the default VLAN or to ignore them altogether.
>
>       Correct me if I've wrong, but wouldn't that require entering all
> of the MAC addresses through a telnet connection?  For that matter,
> wouldn't it require doing that for many MAC addresses over many switches?

You would need to keep track of all of the MAC addresses and where they
belong.  How this is managed varies from vendor to vendor.  With Extreme,
I wound up writing some simple tools to do this.  With 3Com gear, this
was managed centrally via SNMP traps to a management station.

Thanks,

-Brian

--
bmm@minder.net                                                1024/8C7C4DE9