Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:20:52 -0800
From:      "Frost, Stephen C" <stephen.c.frost@intel.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Frost, Stephen C" <stephen.c.frost@intel.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD onto An Intel Saber 8-Proc Server

All -

I am relatively new to the FreeBSD environs and am a test engineer for
Intel, testing NICs and NIC drivers.

I have installed/uninstalled FreeBSD 4.3 thru 4.5 on a diverse array of
machines, but am stumped when it comes to the Intel Saber.  (This is an
8-proc box running 700MHz Zeons, 8 GIG RAM - and yes, I do know the "set
hw.physmem=3G" workaround for over 4 GIG machines) line in the loader.conf.
Using the same install process that I have for all other successful
installs, I am currently installing 4.5 off of NFS.  I get results I have
not seen before - none of which lead to a properly built box.

It is worth noting that this same box runs Linux, Solaris and OpenUNIX8
without issue.

I boot to a FreeBSD Kernel floppy which spins and prompts for the MFS Root
disk.  It announces that 'Memory above 4 GIG will be ignored".  The kernel
boots, I skip kernel configuration, it goes through the regular rigamaroll,
announces an error on IRQ7, and then pauses

ahc0: <adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter> port
0x1000-0x88000000-0x88000fff irq 10 at device 4.0 on pci0
aic7892: Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/25 SCBs
isp0: <QlogicISP 12160 PCI SCSI Adapter> port 0x4000-0x40ff mem
0x8b000000-0x8b000fff irq 7 at device 10.0 on pci0
               Now it pauses for several (~5) minutes...

isp0: Polled Mailbox Command (0x2) Timeout

               pauses for another several minutes....

isp0: Polled Mailbox Command (0x34) Timeout
isp0:Mailbox Command 'SET CLOCK RATE' failed (TIMEOUT)

               pauses for another several minutes.... then shows:

pci0: unknown card or vendor...   and then into the rest of the stuff.

At which point, it finally goes into sysinstall - precisely 20:07 minutes
later!  All things look great until, after choosing NFS for installation
preference, it does not see my standard Intel 10/100 NIC, and installation
can go no further.

If instead of NFS, I choose 'CD' (Using 4.5 taken from the freebsd.org's
released ISO image) I am able to install up the system, but once rebooted
(allow another 20:07), cannot see the NIC (i.e. doesn't show up in ifconfig,
even though it's built into the kernel.)

Also, if I interrupt the kernel boot and add the "set hw.physmem=3G"
statement before booting, I get a 'panic': "RAM parity error, likely a
hardware failure. blah, blah...".  I presume that has to do with the message
upfront saying "memory above 4GIG ignored..."  I don't know why it is doing
that automatically.  So I'm not doing that.

Please reply to me directly.

Thank you. -

    -=C. Stephen Frost=-
       Intel Corp.
       ICG - Network Quality Labs
       Software Test Engineer
       503.264.8300

Any opinions stated are my own and not those of my employers.