Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:23:09 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no>
Cc:        Claude Menski <claude.menski@gmail.com>, doug@fledge.watson.org, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I like Ubuntu

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 12:17:20PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> doug@safeport.com writes:
> > First my experience with [Free]BSD as a server completely mirrors
> > Dag-Erling's observation, it [mostly] just works. I started with BSDI
> > switching to FreeBSD around 3.5. I think it is also true that
> > depending on your hardware a FreeBSD workstation or laptop can be a
> > bit of a challenge.
>
> My issues with FreeBSD as a desktop mostly come from the difficulty of
> installing software and keeping it up-to-date: 'pkg_add -r' and
> 'portupgrade -aP' simply can't hold a candle to 'apt-get install' and
> 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

What do you find lacking in the FreeBSD approach?  I'm a relatively
recent transplant from Debian, and my experience is that FreeBSD
provides better, more predictable, and more customizable results,
without increasing the difficulty or reducing the convenience at all.

Granted, I haven't really tried the package-based software management
options for FreeBSD in any depth -- I'm mostly installing from source at
this point -- but thus far I haven't any reason to expect package-based
installation to be any less easily managed than source-based installs.

Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your
hammer, everything starts to look like your thumb."