Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 13:22:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        ANgel Behar <abehar@mail.pacificnet.com.mx>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount file system, and sorry!!

On Sun, 22 February 1998 at  2:34:55 +0000, ANgel Behar wrote:

> Sorry about the last mail, I need to send it from another computer (for
> obvious reasons). I shutdown my 2.1.7.1 box to put more memory and once I
> turn it on the file system dont boot again. The next message appear :
>
> swapon:/dev/sd0s1b:No such file or directory
> Automatic reboot in progress...
> /dev/sd01f:no such file or directory
> Can't Stat /dev/sd0s1f
> Automatic file system check failed...help!

The message "No such file or directory" here means that the device
node for /dev/sd* doesn't exist, not that the system can't find the
disk (otherwise you'd get the message "Device not configured".

It's relatively simple to create the nodes--*if* they're already
there.  In this case, you can use MAKEDEV for this.

> Once this happend I have an # prompt but I cannot mount the partitions
> manualy.

> As you can see I am a little bit paranoic about lose my info. If you have
> any comment or suggestion, please HELP me!!!

Don't worry about your data.  There's probably no problem there.  Try
this:

 # ls -l /dev/sd0*

This will probably not list the device files you're looking for.
Next, try this:

 # mount -u /
 # cd /dev
 # ./MAKEDEV sd0

If this works, you should be able to exit single user mode by pressing
ctrl-D (^D).

If it doesn't, check if you can find /dev/sd0a, /dev/sd0b and
/dev/sd0f.  In this case, try:

 # fsck -y /dev/sd0a
 # fsck -y /dev/sd0f
 # mount -u /dev/sd0a
 # mount -u /dev/sd0f

The last two lines assume that you have a valid /etc/fstab.

If you can't find these files, try this:

 # mount -u /
 # mknod /dev/sd0s1b b 4 1
 # mknod /dev/sd0s1f b 4 5

If this works, you should then be able to do:

 # swapon /dev/sd0s1b
 # mount /dev/sd0s1f

After that, use MAKEDEV (see above) to create all the device nodes
properly.

A lot of this is in "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm), page 172 and on.

Greg