Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 01:14:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net (jack)
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail going commercial, and ?

jack said:

> I don't.  Not your post specifically, but the tone of the thread
> has been to imply that with the release of a commercial version
> sendmail will immediately have to be ripped from the tree in its
> entirety.

As a member of -core, (but not officially speaking for -core) I can say
that we *like* commercial software.  However, we also don't want (and
will not allow) a slippery slope to happen such that critical run-time
pieces of FreeBSD will become commercially encumbered (such as GPL or worse.)

If various components of UNIX clones can be enhanced and commercialized,
so that the code is more useful, and people are willing to pay for
the enhancements, I cannot see any problem with that.  One of the things
that makes FreeBSD valuable is that it is relatively unencumbered.  The
day that FreeBSD becomes significantly encumbered will be the day that
I will no longer be able to justify working on it very much.  I suspect
that most other FreeBSD contributors will agree with me.

It would be extremely self-destructive for significant parts of FreeBSD
runtime to be encumbered.  It just won't happen, or if so, it will
likely kill the project.  Note that one reason why Kirk's adoption
of Ganger + Patt's work got developed (and completed) was because Kirk
could justify his effort, by making some money.  It would be terribly
self destructive if the base FreeBSD system would be so encumbered that
projects like Kirk's would never be able to happen.  I believe that people
like him need to keep the option to be able to profit on their work in
various creative ways.

So it is important to seperate "add-on's" from the base system.  I think
that it is cool that people can spend time and money to develop sophisticated
add-on's.  However, for that to be possible, there has to be a free software
base for them to create the add-ons.  Eventually, some of the add-on's will
become closer to true BSD-free, but that will be after the developers make
whatever $$$ they think that they can make.

Again, we *must* keep the license(s) for the base system as simple and
free as possible.  Tricky or confusing licenses scare corporate lawyers
(and smart business people) away.  The FreeBSD core team can not
allow tricky, confusing, or non-BSD-style licenses into the BASE system
code.  This attitude has nothing to do with philosophy, but mostly has
to do with long term survival of the project.