Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:18:25 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        ScaryG <freymann@eagle.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtual Domains: Quick Config Question

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:05:27AM -0500, devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:51:58AM -0500, ScaryG wrote:
> > On 16 Jan 2002 at 17:36, Andrey Simonenko wrote:
> >
> > > There is a special section in the Apache documentation. Please read
> > > it, this section discusses your problem.
> >
> >  Thanks, I'm aware of that. I've read it, I'm confused, that's why I
> > posted.
> >
> >  Do I need to use the BindAddress for the main domain on the first ip
> > #
>
> If you want Apache to respond to multiple IP's, you probably want
>
> BindAddress *
>

> >  and then set the NameVirtualHost to the other ip #?
>
> If you want to use NameVirtualHost on only 1 ip, set it to
>
> NameVirtualHost <ip>
>
> Usually, though, you will want
>
> NameVirtualHost *
>
> which will let you use name based virtual hosts on any of your IP's or interfaces.
>
> Somehow I missed your original post, so I don't know what you want to do specifically.

Ooops. Just found your original post.

Sounds like you want:
BindAddress *
ServerName static.ip.name
NameVirtualHost a.b.c.d

<VirtualHost a.b.c.d>
ServerName virtualname1.whatever.whatever
</VirtualHost>
etc...

The proper DNS entry will ensure that requests for the static IP go to that interface.

BindAddress has to be * in this case. Otherwise Apache will listen to only 1 IP (I think).

> >  Then, in the <virtualhost> tags, use the 1st ip in the tag for the
> > 'main domain' and the second ip in the tag for all the other name-
> > based domains.

You probably don't need to make a main domain <VirtualHost> tag at all as long as your
DNS entries are correct.

I think you will need 1 set of VirtualHost tags for each domain going to the second IP,
though. I.e. multiple tags, unless you want all the domain names to point to exactly
the same thing.

--devin

--
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whatever you say to them they
translate into their own language, and forthwith it is something