Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 04:33:34 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "BSD Freak" <bsd-freak@mbox.com.au>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0 - CURRENT

> Does I have all the FreeBSD-RELEASE CD's ISO's etc...  What is the best
> way to get a machine running FreeBSD 5.0 - CURRENT.
>
> As far as I have seen there are no ISO available for download, only the
> source.
>
> Is there a way to upgrade a 4.3 machine to 5.0 - CURRENT or do I have
> to compile the binaries and run a 5.0 installation.
>
> Does this have anything to do with make world?
>
> It would be great if someone could steer me into the right direction...

I think the basic rule says that if you have to ask that question, you
shouldn't be running -CURRENT. -CURRENT is the development branch of
FreeBSD and not for production use - sometimes it won't compile, sometimes
it will compile but won't boot (according to the handbook, if I remember
correctly, I don't run it myself :+) ), and it's generally more "dangerous"
than the -STABLE branch.

That said, if you do want to run it the only way of doing so is CVSup'ing
to the -CURRENT tree, then following the instructions in the handbook at
www.freebsd.org for making, building and installing the world, as far as I
know.

Hope this helps,
Mark