Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2014 14:53:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xorg support question

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014, doug@safeport.com wrote:

> KMS: Is this is an Intel only thing,

No.  At present on FreeBSD, Intel and ATI/AMD.

> implemented in the video card?

No, it just means the video card driver is in the kernel.

> Intel driver: I assume support has passed the ironlake card by.

I confess that the Intel codenames usually mean nothing to me.  KMS
Intel drivers work on both Core2 and i3/i5 notebooks for me, and just
recently KMS Radeon drivers work on 4650 and 4850 desktop cards.

> The question here is: Is there a way to take the output of pciconf and
> relate it to a vendor card designation? The way I read the man page
> for the Intel driver, ironlake should be supported, but it is not.

Don't know, but it would be handy.

> The last more general question is: Is there a way to avoid Intel graphics and
> RealteK wireless since neither seems to be on the 'to be supported' queue.

Good news: most Intel graphics are supported, except for the newest
Haswell stuff (and the old, old chipset that Intel wants to forget).
And more good news, there is a driver for the newer Realtek 8188/8192:
rsu(4).  But I still prefer to just put in an Atheros card when
possible.