Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:35:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        Kostya Odnoralov <kostya@rs.net.ua>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mouse Scroll

Hi Kostya -

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Kostya Odnoralov wrote:

> How can I use my mouse scrolling???

From one newbie to another &8-), how did you install your FreeBSD? I just
went through CDROM installations of 4.0 and 4.5, and each of these had a
step to test the mouse. Did you do this, and did it work for you?

My computer is an old one with the mouse on what would be 'COM1:', and I
had to choose this. Then I chose the mouse type. Finally I started the
mouse daemon and verified that the mouse could move. The installation
program did not detect the mouse buttons, so I still used keystrokes to
comfirm my results and continue the installation.

Then I had a chance to refine my mouse setup as part of setting up
XFree86. Did you set up XFree86? At that point, the mouse buttons
should actually be detected.

(Actually the mouse should work on the text screens, too.)

Hope that is a little help.
 - John Mills