Date:      Fri, 11 May 2007 09:26:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
To:        scottro@nyc.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware3 networking confusion...

> > The bottom line is, if I configure my winXP guest
> > have IP 192.168.0.90, it complains that that
address
> > is already in use, and I can see it in the winXP
arp
> > table.  BUT, I cannot ping it.
> >
> > If I give it 192.168.0.91, it isn't on the
network.
> > It can still see .90 (is in the arp table) but it
> > can't ping it.
>
> Try letting it obtain an IP address automatically
and see if that works.
> At present, I don't have a running vmware
installation on FreeBSD, so can't
> doublecheck.

Hmmm... well, I am not running a DHCP server on the
FreeBSD host ... but I am running one on my network.

I switched winXP to DHCP and attempted to grab an
address, but was unsuccessful.  Should it be getting
an address from the network as a whole, or do I need
to run a DHCP server on the host system ?

I'm not sure I understand what the network path is
between a host-only guest, the vmnet1 interface, and
the rest of the network ... I tried getting a DHCP
address with and without bridge.ko loaded ... both failed.

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.