Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 00:17:16 +0200
From:      "Lutz Albers" <lutz@muc.de>
To:        "Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav " <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Mail server...

> "Lutz Albers" <lutz@muc.de> writes:
> > If you want university software and a REALLY good imap
> implementation, then
> > you might try cyrus imap. It may not be trivial to install, but it's way
> > faster then imap-uw.
>
> The "not trivial to install" part is precisely the reason why I'm not
> using Cyrus. The last time I installed a POP server I was just in a
> bloody hurry to get a POP server, *any* POP server (excpet qpopper)
> installed, after a (luckily false) breakin alarm on a friend's box
> (guess what POP server he was running...)
>
> If I ever get serious about POP, though, I'll take long hard look at
> Cyrus.

Well, I needed a IMAP server and the imap-uw server really SUCKS. It's slow
and the handling of large mailboxes (over 1000 messages) is bad (try using
it with Netscape Messenger). I'm not using POP anymore and if you take the
time to write some wrappers around cyrus's deliver program it's quite good.

ciao
  lutz

--
Lutz Albers, lutz@muc.de, pgp key available from <http://www.pgp.net>;
Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.