Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:01:28 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Background Fsck

I think Kirk would know a thing or two about FFS. ;-)

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 04:53:55PM -0800, Bakul Shah scribbled:
| Dumb question time.  Why would I want to run a background
| fsck on an active filesystem? One wouldn't mount an unsafe

You want your system to be up as soon as possible.
Have you ever tried to fsck even just a 200gb system?

| filesystem in the first place.  Perhaps you are talking about
| background garbage collection on an active fs -- blocks and

No, he calls it background fsck because that is what it is.

| inodes not reachable from the root set of objects (root inode
| + freelist + superblock?) recovered lazily.  If this is
| really what you have, wouldn't it make sense to call it
| something else (e.g. fsgc)?

Please at least try to understand what this feature is and does.

| On a somewhat related note, I have always wondered if the
| current fsck algorithm can be significantly improved or if it
| is about as efficient as it can be (barring any peephole code
| improvements).

This is a significant architecture addition/redesign to
reduce fsck time.