Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:43:51 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <H@Schmalzbauer.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to make Xfree86-4.2?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 04:14:33PM +0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted to compile Xfree86 4.2.0 but there seems to be something going
> wrong.
> I made a "make install" in ports/XFree86-4/ after editing the Makefile
> of imake-4.
> Now it looks to me that on every part of XFree it extracts the source
> each time again (which takes hours on my machine) and compiles it
> completely every time (which ends up in compiling for 5 hours right now
> an a PII 350)
>
> What's the correct way to build XFree86?
>
> Please answer directly, I'm not subscribed.
>
> -Harry

I am afraid you are doing it correctly.
Yes, it does extract the source every time and is supposed to do that.
It does not compile all of it every time. It is just parts of it that
is recompiled each step.
Yes, it takes forever and uses lots of diskspace.  (And if you think it
is slow for you then guess how long it takes for me on a Pentium/133.)

I am afraid I do not have a solution for these problems, but a
workaround is to install XFree86 4.2.0 using packages instead of ports.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson