Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 17:56:59 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyway to get connect speed with usermode ppp/tun0 device?

Jaye Mathisen:
 |PPP isn't my cup of tea, I'm thinking that something oughta be able
 |to be done inside HdlcDetect(), but perhaps there's a better choice...
 |
 |Any tips or ideas appreciated.

If you're using chat for dialup before turning control over to PPP try
something like:

   if chat -t 90 -r /opt/log/dialup \
        REPORT CONNECT                                     \
        ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY ABORT "NO DIAL TONE" \
        ""                         "$INITSTRING"      \
        "OK"                       "AT$DIALSTRING"    \
        "Password:"                "$SERVER_PASSWORD" \
   then
      # Do ppp here
   else
      # Process chat error here
   fi

CONNECT lines will be appended to /opt/log/dialup.

Didn't grok the argument about this not being useful.  If one's paying
their ISP for 28.8 or 56K access, it's prudent to make sure that one's
getting the service they're paying for and not just tossing money into the
breeze.

Randall Hopper