Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 18:36:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VAT with 3.0-CURRENT

I am attempting to use vic,vat,sdr,wb with 3.0-CURRENT (as of a few days
ago).  The ports built almost successfully (one of the MD5's was out of
date -- I will do a send-pr on this later).  wb,sdr,vic appear to work
correctly, but I am having a lot of problems with vat.  I tried to use the
new pcm sound driver, but the notebook I am trying this on would
consistently freeze (it has an ESS sound chip) in several situations.  I
then tried the older sb/snd sound drivers (I had to manually define
CONFIG_SBPRO or the mixer code was ifdef'd out when it shouldn't have
been).  While the mixer, etc, appear to do the right thing now, vat
complains that:

sorry don't know how to deal with this card
failed to select input
sorry don't know how to deal with this card
failed to set mic volume
failed set input line volume
failed to output level 70
failed to output level 70
sorry don't know how to deal with this card
failed to set mic volume
failed set input line volume

The mixer seems to work using the mixer command, and many other audio
applications seem to do the right thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/