Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:01:48 +0200
From:      Omer Faruk Sen <ofsen@enderunix.org>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql and system/nice cpu usage

Everything that is stated in tuning man page was done. What is interesting
that this site was running more than 8 months without problem. But a few
weeks ago system was started to behave like that.

By the way isn't it interesting that mysql creates load on system and nice?
I think mysql should create load on "user". That is why I have send this
problem to FreeBSD mailing list. I am using FreeBSD for more that 4 years
but never come across with a problem like that. I am thinking to use Zend
Optimizer. Maybe that helps me ..

If that doesn't help I was thinking to run sql on a seperate machine.

Chuck Swiger writes:

> Omer Faruk Sen wrote:
>> I have web server which uses php+mysql. As far as I have searched the
>> best thing to use mysql on FreeBSD is to use linuxthreads. [ ... ]
>> 240 processes: 7 running, 233 sleeping
>> CPU states: 10.9% user, 73.9% nice, 12.5% system,  2.7% interrupt,  0.0%
>> idle
>> Mem: 244M Active, 1309M Inact, 309M Wired, 93M Cache, 199M Buf, 56M Free
>> Swap: 3072M Total, 24K Used, 3072M Free
>
> Well, you've managed to saturate the available CPU power with the
> workload. If you've already done some performance tuning at the FreeBSD
> level by adjusting your kernel config and followed "man tuning", you
> aren't likely to get much further by tweaking FreeBSD's config.
>
> Look into optimizing your database utilization by checking the SQL query
> histogram, particularly if your site ends up doing transaction(s) for each
> HTTP hit.  People write books on database management and tuning, and you
> should look there rather than to a FreeBSD list for advice.  :-)
>
> You could also get another machine and run the database and webserver on
> seperate systems to help site performance by dividing and concentrating
> the workload.  Consider switching from MySQL to postgres or a database you
> actually pay for: Oracle, Sybase, Frontbase, etc.
>
> You could also consider another web middleware/scripting evironment than
> PHP which handles database interactions more efficiently: Zope, JSP,
> WebObjects.
>
> --
> -Chuck

Omer Faruk Sen
http://www.EnderUNIX.ORG
Software Development Team @ Turkey
http://www.Faruk.NET
For Public key: http://www.enderunix.org/ofsen/ofsen.asc

First Turkish FreeBSD book is out! Go check it.
Duydunuz mu! Turkiye'nin ilk FreeBSD kitabi cikti.
http://www.acikkod.com/freebsd.php