Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2019 23:31:55 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB disks dropping off-line

Que Twilight Zone theme. For your consideration: This started in December
when I was running 11.2-STABLE. Starting in December, when I try to backup
my laptop to a USB drive, it periodically dropped off-line (disconnected)
and immediately reconnected. This was originally using rsync. It seemed
fairly random and, eventually I got a successful backup. After I upgraded
to 12.0, it was much worse and I could no longer get a clean rsync.

I assumed that the drive was failing and swapped it for an identical one,
re-partitioned, and used dd to copy each partition. The same thing
happened, but I noticed that it seemed to happen when the system was a bit
active. I then shutdown X and tried with nothing else running. It ran for a
few minutes until I did a sync from a different login while the dd was
running. Boom. Disk disconnected again.

I finally got an almost complete backup of /usr. I had about 1-2 GB lest
when it happened again. I suspect that some background operation (periodic
sync?) triggered it again.

Any suggestions?

Here is my system info: Lenovo T520 now running FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r342788
and GENERIC config except SCHED_4BSD. System is completely stable except
for the USB disk dropping off-line. Disk is a 2TB WD My Passport. It is a
USB 3.0 drive,but plugged intoa 2.0 port. (The T520 has no 3.0 capability.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas? I am REALLY nervous running
without a backup.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com