Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 00:25:17 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com, mjh@east.isi.edu, tinguely@plains.nodak.edu, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: windows 98

#define quoting(Amancio Hasty)
// I see however what we are asking to have the multimedia mailing list
// accept mail *only* from members. Can you do that?

IIRC, this was not exactly the initial suggestion.

// > Amancio Hasty wrote:
// > > >	i expect.   how was gonna mail in the diffs to majordomo-1.94.4?
// > >
// > > Do you mean that majordomo-1.94.4 doesn't have policies on a per mailing list
// > > basis?
// > >
// > > Because if that is the case , I am willing to take a look at majordomo
// > > this weekend.
// >
// > 	some policies yes, but we often hear of suggestions for
// > 	policies that majordomo does not support.  storing mail
// > 	and then releasing it later if resent is not one that
// > 	is supported "out of the box". as far as i know.

Not storing it, but caching the user (something that formail, from
the procmail package, may do for you) and allowing the user to send
the message 1) if he is subscribed to the list (this one may need a
bit of majordomo hacking, sending rejected mail to another address,
instead of back to the sender), OR 2) he is trying to send a message again
(this one based on Sender: or From: field caching).

I'm not very attracted to this setup, since my experience with "closed"
lists is bad for me, since I like to send mail from very different
email addresses depending on where I'm sitting at that moment.  :)
But I must agree that it solves those two problems cited: 1) People
lost from mommy M$ home, and 2) spammers from hell.

The sender cache should be per-list, since spammers will send messages
to every list, and if it gets cached on the first, the following ones
will be allowed to him.  The message sent back should explain what
FreeBSD is, what are the objectives of that list, and that the user
could send his message again if it satisfies those objectives.  The
formail caches can only be set by size, and not by time, so it may
require some tuning from time to time.

I've done some playing with procmail as a filter in distributed
lists before.  We had a "global" list for local users, and wanted
to allow anybody inside the campus to send mail to it, even if the
sender is not subscribed in the list, but also wanted to disallow
everybody outside the campus to send mail to the list, and send
back a message explaining why.  This saved us from a lot of external
spamming since.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro