Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:51:46 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't create/config ad* devices

I just tried to update my 4.3-STABLE from the May version to current. Up to
now I've continued using the wd0s* device designation in my fstab. When I
tried to reboot with the new kernel I was told the device doesn't exist, so
I tried to change fstab and reboot. Well, I ended up (eventually) rebooting
with boot: kernel.old, changed fstab, and tried again to boot the new
kernel. Device does not exist.
OK, cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV ad*. Filesystem readonly. Try /sbin/mount -u / --
device wd0s1 does not exist.

Anyway, I now am running the current userworld with a slightly older
kernel. So far it seems to be working, but I cannot find the file about how
to create the ad* devices. /usr/src/UPDATING refers to instructions "at the
end of the file." No instructions there. I cd to /dev and try to run
./MAKEDEV ad* and get the message: "bash: ./MAKEDEV: Permission denied".
What? I'm root, dammit! You *must* obey!!!

So, I've clearly missed something in the instructions. What should I do to
switch over to the ad* devices?

--
Roger