Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 14:21:55 -0500
From:      "Thatcher Hubbard" <hubbardj@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE:

  There were 600-odd responses to this story on Slashdot.  I can remember a
time when I loved Linux, but the whiny finger-pointing and flame wars that
ensued the ZDNet tests reminded me why I'd jumped ship to FreeBSD.
  I'd also be very interested in seeing how FreeBSD would perform on the
same machine that they benchmarked Linux on.  It seems that the few
performance comparisons I've seen have indicated the FreeBSD generally
achieves better network throughput than Linux.  I've heard a lot about the
not-so-fine granularity thread locking in the Linux kernel, what stage is
the FreeBSD kernel at when it comes to threading?
  Maybe we should push ZDNet to run the benchmark suite on a FreeBSD
machine, it seems like the Linux folks could get a lot of good information
on where their weaknesses are from that, we could probably benefit the same
way.