Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Console

DH> I have TERM=vt100 set in the .profiles of my remote machines for that same
DH> problem.  I run KDE on 4.0-STABLE and connect to Sun, HP, and IBM boxes
DH> all day long.  Setting the envrionment variable on the remote side at
DH> login seems to work well for me, as I've had no problems with more, vi, or
DH> any other programs since.

If you're within X, then terminal type xterm should be recognized by
HP, Sun, and IBM boxes.  No need to fake it out with vt100.

I haven't dealt with FreeBSD console remote logins, but I have for
other systems.  I have this mess in my .login file to deal with
funkified terminal definitions.  If I can't figure it out, I punt with
some aliases to let me choose which term type I've got.

# for dial-in logins.  tcsh doesn't like type "modem"
if ( $term == modem ) then
        set term = dumb
        stty 9600 # gross assumption, but needed for curses to work efficiently
endif

# linux term type not defined either
if ( $term == linux ) then
        set term = vt100
endif

# set up aliases to set terminal types only if it is not yet known.
if ( $term == unknown || $term == network || $term == dumb ) then
        alias cons25 'set term=cons25;unterm'
        alias vt100 'set term=vt100;unterm'
        alias vt102 'set term=vt102;unterm'
        alias unterm 'unalias vt100 vt102 cons25 unterm'
endif