Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:18:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Coile <scoile@nandomedia.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to tailor installation set?

I'm relatively new to FreeBSD, having come into a position administering
it only a few months ago.  My experience is primarily with Red Hat Linux
and Solaris.  Please bear with me.

On several other Unix variants which which I have experience, I could
safely remove components of the operating system using the package
management system.

For instance, if I don't want Emacs installed, I could instruct the
package management system (e.g. RPM) to remove Emacs, and all of the
files associated with Emacs would be removed.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a way to remove individual
components from FreeBSD.  I noticed that I can choose not to install some
(broad-based) components at the initial system installation.

Is there a way to cleanly remove select components from the system
after installation?

--
Steve Coile