Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 21:04:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Bellardd@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows 98 Compatibility

On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 Bellardd@aol.com wrote:

> Is Version 3.4 compatible with Windows 98.

No.

> Please respond as soon as possible as I have install Version 2.2.5 per
> instructions and I am unable to access my window programs anymore.  Please
> HELP!

In general, UNIX is NOT compatible with Windows (DOS), and FreeBSD is no
different.  The same holds for Linux, MacOS, ad infinitum.  Operating
systems, in general, are NOT freely interchangable, and will NOT, in
general, run programs coded and compiled for another operating systems.
There even exist differences between multiple versions of UNIX, such that
binaries intended for one platform do not run on another.

There ARE some emulation packages avaliable, such as WINE, that allow you
(with somewhat limited success) to run Windows executables under X.
However, from the sounds of your message, you were looking for a drop-in
replacement for Windows.  Such you will not find, my friend... And for
good reason.  UNIX exists today and thrives because it offers a different
feature set than Windows.  Put quite simply, if you want to run Windows
applications, stay with Windows! :-)

SOME applications for Windows are ALSO available for UNIX or Linux.
Our own ports collection contains many such examples, such as Corel
WordPerfect, Netscape Communicator, and others.  Also, there are many
other useful programs available in the ports collection that offer many of
the same features as their Windows counterparts.  (In fact, with a little
bit of research, you will find that many Windows programs are in fact
clones or work-alikes for programs that were originally written for UNIX).

You can browse or search the Ported Applications tree from
http://www.freebsd.org/.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2